Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Sunday, July 02, 2006

School's in!

Like Kevin Smith, I grew up watching the various "Degrassi" series and crushing on the character of Caitlin Ryan (played by Stacie Mistysyn). Unlike KS, I didn't become a famous film director who could ingratiate myself into three episodes of the show's current incarnation, "Degrassi: The Next Generation", in a plotline that involved snogging said actress. Not that I'm bitter. Ahem. In Oz, "D:TNG" screens at times when I'm either working or sleeping, so my only chance to see these eps was to order the DVD from Amazon. "Jay & Silent Bob Do Degrassi: The Next Generation" ("Director's Cut - Uncut, Uncensored, Unrated") took a while to win me over. As cheerleaders feuded and other unfamiliar Canuck teens went about their biz, I kept wishing for Kevin to appear on screen. Then the old "Degrassi" kinda real/kinda soapie magic kicked in, Jay showed up making crude passes at the schoolgirls and I was hooked all over again. Possibly even better than the episodes were the commentary tracks in which Smith revealed and reminisced, Stacie proved herself to be one hella cool chick and Jason Mewes' occasional interjections made me laugh out loud. Worth purchasing - but make sure you get the Director's Cut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home