Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Lost in the past

Regardless of my having conclusively flunked a computer science degree and, years later, been laid off after a brief stint as a technical writer at an imploding Internet company, I periodically enjoy reading about matters IT.

So, anyway, I stumble onto the web site of Aussie software firm Atlassian... impressive-sounding products (which I don't pretend to fully comprehend), world-class client list, plaudits from the business community, groovy work environment...

The funny thing is, I'm sure I recognise one of the co-founders, Mike Cannon-Brookes, from a Magic: The Gathering tournament circa 1996.

If I'm not mistaken, it was at the City Of Sydney RSL Club and we met in the penultimate round. I was playing mono-black discard (colourless damage from Aeolipiles and Walking Walls; four Guerrilla Tactics in the sideboard as a surprise for other hand disruptors). He was using the Titania's Song deck that George Baxter had just piloted to second at the US Nationals. My homebrewed pile utterly failed to deal with the mana denial. Mike finished in the money (well, booster packs), while I got nada despite winning my next round.

Following the Atlassian saga, it's hard to reconcile my memory of a fellow student/card gamer/slacker with the IT star of today, but then I'm sure there are plenty of underachievers who say that about Bill Gates et al.

I wonder if he still plays?

3 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I use both Jira (bug tracking) and Confluence (wiki) everyday at work.

I didn't know Atlassian was an Australian company. Now I know why their products are of such high quality!

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger nikiscevak said...

He doesn't play anymore. He now dresses up in snakeskin belts and drives a sports car.

I'm not joking either.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Charles Miller said...

For about a year, we had a big crate of Mike's Magic cards on a shelf in the Atlassian server room.

These days it's mostly poker though. And snakeskin belts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home