Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Dinosaurs, etc.

Dealt myself out of tonight's poker game - my energy bar was too low. They won't miss me as there'll still be 7-8 card floppers.

PG and DG stayed over on Friday. We dined at The Viet in Newtown, where I had the lemongrass pork and they ate vegetarian on account of being vegetarians. Back at DorkGeekNerd HQ, we emptied a box of the new Tiramisu Cornetto ice-creams (rubs tummy) and watched the unsettling, acting master class that is "Zodiac" (why all the yellow?).

Regrettably, when P. and D. retired, I overdid it on the Sauvignon blanc and ended up (a) puking in the porcelain, (b) bothering another friend with a 1.30am phone call (lucky he was awake), and (c) staggering to the bus stop only to forget where I was heading and return home again (thanks for the small mercy, heaven).

I really must stick to beer in future as I know my tolerance to that poison. Having drunk white wine <10 times in my life, I didn't accord it the proper respect.

Today's been spent reading manga ("Welcome To The N.H.K."), snoozing, eating bland snacks, snoozing, researching an article on the Unabomber, switching to sugary snacks, and checking out reports/photos from last weekend's Animania convention.

The reason I wasn't there is because I had AG's 30th birthday on the Saturday and JH and SB's wedding on the Sunday.

The former was a relaxed affair, an outdoor barbecue at Bar Beach Bowling Club. The bouncer made me remove my cap, claiming, "It might upset the locals." I could understand that at an RSL, but at a bowlo whose patrons were mostly 30-somethings? *And* it was a Newcastle United Jets cap - the local team, whose game that night was being televised on a big screen inside the club!

J. and S. got hitched without a hitch. I rode in a stretch limo (a Lincoln Town Car) for the first and possibly only time, my best man speech got the required laughs, and even the formal dance with the (married and preggers) matron of honour didn't cause me to break a sweat.

My favourite dinosaur is the Triceratops. I also have a squishy spot for the Ankylosaurus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home