Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Another exhibition

Exercised my leg muscles walking to the art gallery, where I exercised my noggin muscles studying portraits by German photographer August Sander (1876-1964). His unrealised dream was to create a pictorial database of all social groups, from farmers to radical artists to beggars to Nazis to whoever. The thing that struck me most was the diminutive stature of many subjects. Were it not for their stern expressions, they'd look like children in fancy dress. Even in black-and-white, each burned with fierce life and I can see why Sander is so highly esteemed. Regrettably, much of his work was destroyed during wartime. This collection of 150+ images is on loan from LA's J. Paul Getty Museum. You have until February 3 to check it out. There's no charge.


Listening: "No World For Tomorrow" - Coheed And Cambria. Apparently, "the kids" are into these guys. LA isn't, which is why he gave me this, their latest CD. Ignore the sci-fi concept album trappings and you're in for an aural treat. "N/W/F/T" is crammed with uplifting rock catchiness. Evokes Journey and Queensryche in places.

Reading: "My Boring Ass Life: The Uncomfortably Candid Diary Of Kevin Smith" (2007). Surprise - interesting! :-)

Watching: "Saxondale" (series one, episodes 1-3). DL and CM warned me this Steve Coogan suburban sitcom was no "I'm Alan Partridge". They failed to mention it still contains (a) brilliant bonkers monologues, and (b) excruciating moments a la "I/A/P". UK-TV viewers can begin forming their own opinions on January 14.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home