Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Friday, October 17, 2008

Changing colours

After the National Basketball League's 2005/06 season, the Hunter Pirates found they could no longer stay afloat, leading me to jump ship to the Sydney Kings. When they were dethroned prior to the 2008/09 comp due to lack of financial firepower (inside joke), I was unsure who to swear allegiance to. The Singapore Slingers would've been an amusingly eccentric option had they not been chucked out of the NBL as well. Then the Kings' former rivals, the West Sydney Razorbacks, rebranded themselves the Sydney Spirit and announced they'd also be catering for us Easterlings by playing some home games at the Entertainment Centre. Alas, when their schedule was released, "some" meant one. It was tonight, against the South Melbourne Dragons. CM, AM and I went along (via Ajisen Ramen). I purchased a sky blue, navy and white Spirit cap to make my switch official. The crowd, commentary and cheerleaders were inferior to what I'd grown accustomed to over the past two seasons. Just as well the team itself was OK, especially US import Derrick Low. As predicted, the visitors were too disciplined, but the 106-101 scoreline felt respectable. The lads and I even discussed driving to a weekend fixture at the Olympic Park Sports Centre. Here we go again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home