Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Thrown up by memory VI

The Ice Age expansion for "Magic: The Gathering" was released in June 1995. A short time later, I travelled with RG and PG (who aren't related) to an unsanctioned tournament held in a suburban Sydney church hall. Lords knows how we heard about it. Anyway, the house rule, we discovered on arrival, was that incomplete games were decided by life total, and the locals were prepared for such eventualities with life-gain cards we might have included had we been forewarned. P. decided to use a fake name (in honour of a famous prog-rock singer), which caused confusion all day because there was a guy there with *that same name*. I recall I played B/W heavy removal/flyers. One of my opponents was a kid with powerful illegal cards in his deck. When I mentioned this to the judge, I was told, "Ah, he's just a kid." Fortunately, I won. I also used the bar-roken Balance to twice battle back from the brink against speed R/G, frustrating the hell out of the poor bloke piloting it. Not every duel was so successful, and if I scored a prize at tourney's end it was only a booster or two. PG and RG probably fared better - they generally did. I'm fairly sure we drove back to Newie bitching like crazy 'bout that highest life rule :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home