Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Ellie Arroway forever

http://vimeo.com/70554007

"Beyond The Visible: The Story Of The Very Large Array"

The selling point of this doco is Jodie Foster's narration, which is great. But for me, its real strengths are the compleat picture it paints of the Karl G. Jansky VLA in Socorro County, New Mexico, and the stunning footage, much of it behind the scenes. It's so worth 25 minutes of your existence. The ending is beautiful - you'll feel your wings unfurling and your spirit taking flight. I busted out some beers and watched the whole vid three times.

Speaking of science, I'm excited about upcoming Sydney Theatre Co. production "Vere", by John "Roy Slaven" Doyle. From what I gather, it's an exploration of mortality and unconditional love set against the backdrop of the search for the Higgs boson, perhaps treading similar reason vs. faith ground as the recent "Freud's Last Session". Given that my favourite plays are Michael Frayn's "Copenhagen" and David Auburn's "Proof", I have high hopes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home