Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Thursday, January 23, 2014

"Crossing Boundaries" @ Town Hall

Part of the Lunar New Year celebrations, this free exhibition is better than some I've paid to see. Local artists from various Asian backgrounds working in various mediums... Pieces with a lot to say about identity and Australia's relationship with Asia... This photo-sculpture combo by Karina Wikamto moved me. Entitled "Oey Oen Hok - My Father", the guide told us it symbolises how a certain type of Chinese peanut always reminds the artist's dad of the old country and the sadness of being forced to give up his family name. (I think I've got that right.) The exhibition booklet talks about the tough outer shell/inner beauty of the peanut. Like I said: identity.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home