Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Optiburg

What's your optimum hamburger breakdown?

While I boast no official cooking or food-reviewing credentials, I was a founder member of Burger Club, along with CM and DL. Every week, we'd visit a different Sydney venue and critique the burgs.

Been having the tasty devils regularly at home over recent months, trying various combinations, and I reckon I've finally settled on my perfect mixture of ingredients. They are:

* Soft white roll - not toasted, your choice of "butter" (I use avocado)

* Your preferred patty (meat, fake meat or vegie)

* Slice of tasty cheese

* Slice of beetroot

* Plenty of tomato sauce (or ketchup or, ideally, relish)

* Fried onions.

Anything else and you mess with the core flavours and risk rendering the burg unwieldy. Keep bacon and egg their own separate thing. Save lettuce and cucumber for salads/salad sangers. Coleslaw and mustard are for hotdogs. Chilli peppers, pineapple, hash browns, other condiments, etc. - much as I like 'em all - don't belong.

The amazing anime-ification of Hamburglar and Ronald McD below was done by a DeviantArt artist from Sweden going by the moniker Exath. I stumbled on it by accident. I hope they won't mind me featuring it here and giving their work a plug.

4 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger David & Mindy said...

We differ here mate. Bun, untoasted with sesame seeds, patty (beef!), cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, pineapple, fried onions, BBQ sauce. I can also go an egg but that is optional. Normal order from the local shop when back home - super works burger with no beetroot!

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Addster said...

Not saying I wouldn't eat that combo :-)

As an old man, I just tend to go for concentrated flavours and less wrangling/spillage.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Shane Cubis said...

Untoasted bun, patty, cheese, tomato, beetroot, lettuce, fried onions, tomato/BBQ sauce.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Addster said...

I'd say we're all pretty traditional. I imagine there'd be some peeps who'd read this and go, "C'mon, guys, where's the crumbed mushroom? Can't believe there's no bean sprouts. Did you forget the mango chutney?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home