Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Monday, September 19, 2022

I miss the word electrohum

Heard a podcaster list what each of the role-playing buddies of his youth became "when they grew up". This is me stealing that idea.

There were three groups in my early TTRPG history. I learnt to play "D&D" in primary school (Year 5) with WD, RK and CS. W. served in the army. Now, I *think* he works in IT or sales. R.'s career trajectory is a complete mystery to me. His parents were hotel/motel managers with a passion for sailing. Perhaps he got a gig in one of those areas? C. is a web designer.

The group I played with most as a pre-teen/teen, however, was JH, DP and MD. Except for M., we lived within cycling distance of each other. (M.'s folks were happy to drive him everywhere.) J. is a mentor in a certain discipline for students at a few unis. Last I read on Facebook, D. was seeking a new challenge after running a successful pub for many years. I *believe* M. had a non-lawyer legal role. These days, he's either still doing that or is a pro photographer or both. My info's sketchy.

The gaming group that took me up to about the age of 20 was BP, DB, JL and MG. B. became some kind of council worker (road crew?). Last I saw D., he'd only ever had part-time/casual jobs like delivering papers. J. operates a ski resort. As is often the way, M. was kicked upstairs from programming to the business side of IT. He tells me he's ready to leave the industry.

Their friend AW spent a long time in publishing and now scrapes by doing freelance writing :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home