Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The new "Monkey"

Months back, while shopping in Chinatown, I picked up the DVD box set of the new version of much-loved 70s Japanese TV series "Monkey". The guy behind the counter gave the distinct impression he didn't want to sell it to a gaijin. First, he pointed out there were no English subtitles. I said I didn't mind. Then, he said something along the lines of "OK then, one copy of 'Saiyuki'," as if daring me to call it "Monkey". I didn't bother responding and just handed over the money (it was as cheap as a bootleg, but I'm convinced it's legit). What I could have told him was that I'd already been discussing the show with my sister AC, who lives in Japan, speaks the language and had e-mailed me her review. Or that I knew from an ABC Radio report that some outdoor scenes were filmed in Australia - in fact, in the Port Stephens area, where I grew up. Despite being super-keen to see this modern take on a childhood fave, I took it home and stuck it on a shelf where it remained untouched until today.

Now, I've only watched one episode so far, but unless the production is radically altered in subsequent eps, I think I can make some general observations. The new "Monkey" improves on the old in the areas of martial arts choreography (there's more variety, although slo-mo is overused), special effects (cloud riding has become supersonic sky surfing) and outdoor locations (Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!). However, the actors just don't seem to suit their characters. There's nothing swineish about Pigsy, Sandy just looks like a guy in a long black wig and the actress playing Tripitaka appears uncomfortable in his priest's robes. Monkey's not bad - but he almost tries too hard to be cocky/wild/petulant/mischievous/etc. and could do with having his screen time cut. I don't think much of the pacing, either, with umpteen events crammed into the opening story. Finally, the music isn't a patch on the old Godiego songs. The opening theme is forgettable; the closing theme unusual, if uninspiring. It's clear the makers of the 2006 "Monkey" have tried not to copy elements from the 1978 classic - the costumes and opening/closing titles, for example, are very different - the question is whether their new interpretation hangs together anywhere near as well. At this stage, I don't think so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home