Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Finally finished!

Testing the theme decks from Magic: The Gathering's Time Spiral expansion took longer than I expected.

The set's a mixture of completely new cards, new cards utilising old concepts and some classics I never wishfully thought would be reprinted (Psionic Blast, anyone?).

The decks are:
* "Fun With Fungus" - black and green spells aimed at cultivating an army of saprolings that can be sacrificed for all sorts of benefits or simply used to overrun the opponent.
* "Hope's Crusaders" - white spells only. A core of knights possessing the flanking ability from Mirage, aided by fliers, instant "flash" blockers, healing and cards that tap your enemies.
* "Reality Fracture" - blue and red spells that can be either (a) cast cheaply with delayed results ("suspend"), (b) returned to your hand for reuse ("buyback" from Tempest) or (c) duplicated for every spell that's previously taken effect in the turn ("storm" from Scourge).
* "Sliver Evolution" - green, red and white spells. Slivers are also from Tempest. While in play, they pass on their abilities to other creatures of the same type, thus becoming exponentially powerful in groups.

The results were:
1st - "Fun With Fungus" (3 match wins, 10 game wins)
2nd - "Sliver Evolution" (2 matches, 8 games)
3rd - "Hope's Crusaders" (1 match, 6 games)
4th - "Reality Fracture" (0 matches, 6 games)

I don't have to tell you "F/W/F" is the strongest deck. All it has to do is survive the early game and it generally has superior numbers - if not total board control.

"R/F" was kinda unlucky to finish last as, given the right draw, it can generate some amazing 20-to-0 kills. This doesn't happen often enough, though.

Helping keep me entertained while I staged these 30 battles - many of them protracted - were the album "Rise" by Irish rockers The Answer (thanks, LA) and some bootlegs of English comedian Daniel Kitson (cheers, PG).

3 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger Jason B. Standing said...

G'day,

can I ask, where'd ya get hold of the Kitson material ? I've been looking for some of that stuff for ages! Email me on the_walrus at hotmail dot com - cheers !

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Addster said...

Hello, Jason.

Those recordings were given to me by a friend. I've asked him where he got them and will get back to you when/if he gets back to me.

I should point out that I'd love to purchase official Daniel Kitson stand-up CDs if I knew of any.

I saw him when he performed in Sydney (at the Newtown RSL) in May and will see him again at every given opportunity.

I find his sense of humour unique - fiendishly clever yet unapologetically idealistic.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Addster said...

Still there?

I'm told one of the five MP3s is available through BitTorrent and the other four through eMule. Whatever that means :-)

The gigs are:

* Brixton Hobgoblin (2005)
* Cardiff Glee Club (2005)
* Hull University Union (two parts, 200?)
* Listening Club (radio show, 2006)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home