Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Across the Whoniverse

Having lately rewatched selected episodes from season two of the new "Doctor Who", I was wondering when I'd get to see the 2006 Christmas special, "The Runaway Bride". Then, in a forehead-slapping moment, I realised it had probably been available on YouTube for the past month.

I was right. Some charitable chap (or chapette) had uploaded a good-quality copy in seven pieces, which I proceeded to play.

"T/R/B" is an enjoyable, Earth-based romp that shows us how messed up the Doc is over Rose's departure, while keeping him too busy to mope. I wouldn't dream of spoiling the story for anyone, so I'll simply say that "Big Train"'s Catherine Tate does a great job as brassy bride Donna Noble and the alien villainess looks fantastic (I was reminded of The Lord Of Darkness from "Legend")...even if she doesn't physically do much.

My next destination in the expanding Whoniverse was "The Sarah Jane Adventures: Invasion Of The Bane", the pilot of the new spin-off series starring Elisabeth Sladen. I didn't watch this show on YouTube (though it may well be there), I was given it on disc by AM.

I'm an unashamed fan of Sarah Jane. I adore her only slightly less than Romana II and Ace in the original series, I collect her Big Finish audiobooks and "School Reunion" is my sentimental fave of the new eps. So you may wanna take the following comment with a sprinkle of sea salt.

"I/O/T/B" is terrific!

Yes, it's blatantly aimed at a younger audience (by the end, we've been introduced to three teen sidekicks). Yes, the explanation for K-9's absence looks and sounds very silly. And yes, the baddies and their preposterous methods are like something out of a cartoon. But none of that matters.

SJ is so endearing - an investigative journalist who plays fair, refuses to be cynical and can't hide her compassion - and acted with such conviction by ES, you'd willingly follow her anywhere. A curio-stuffed house, quirky old car and alien artefacts (sonic lipstick!) only add to her charm.

(But is it just me or does Sarah Jane's protege Maria bear a freaky resemblance to Debbie from "Shameless"?)

The third thing I watched was "Torchwood". GH had sent me a disc containing the first seven episodes weeks ago and been hassling me to watch them so he could pass on the remaining six. As I'm sure you know, it represents Russell T. Davies' attempt at a more adult sci-fi program, based around a clandestine human organisation who use alien tech to combat alien threats.

Having only viewed a single episode so far ("Everything Changes"), I'm reserving judgement. However, it definitely feels more grown-up than "Who". Not just because people swear and depictions are graphic; there's a slickness and psychological depth akin to the excellent "Spooks" and "Hustle".

"Torchwood" has loads of potential - I'm curious to see what they do with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home