Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Friday, May 25, 2007

Real family/phantom family

Komachi in Surry Hills was an agreeable place for a reunion with AK, VK, CK, EM and TM (that's two sisters, two brothers-in-law and one niece, for those keeping score at home). We ate chilli baby octopi, gyoza, tempura prawns and vegetables, and assorted makizushi; each course with an appropriate sauce. For dessert, we had scoops of ice-creams made from green tea (bright light green) and black sesame (grey-blue), which were served with red bean paste and a slice of lime. Barely sweet, they were pleasant in an alien way. My cold's on the mend, so I took little persuading to indulge in a bottle of Kirin Lager, then an Asahi for the road.

I got home to find World Vision had sent details of the sponsor child I requested recently. Now there are three photos of phantom kids atop my CD cabinet (each corresponding with a pay rise over the past four years). Before you judge, I don't think this makes me a hero as the money's tax-deductible. Nor is my motivation to play saviour - the only communication I will ever have with these children is the birthday and Christmas cards WV requires me to fill out (I sign them simply "Adam, Sydney"). My sole intent is to provide a small monthly stipend to assist struggling communities where, had the dice landed differently, we might have been born.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home