Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Another staff function

This was the end-of-year bash for the publication as opposed to the publishing company (see "Christmas in November"). It was held at the Capitan Torres Spanish restaurant in Liverpool St. We were seated on the top level and that meant tapas wasn't available. I went for a hearty combo of steak, bacon, onion rings and other vegies. Mild ribbing ensued after I mistook the bright yellow potato pieces for squash. What would Jamie Oliver say? The sangria was $23 per freakin' litre, but the complimentary bread rolls were quality, so I guess it balanced out. I limited myself to two drinks (we'd already had self-congratulatory champers in the office) and made my excuses once I'd finished eating.

I then did the entirety of my Chrissie shopping in under four hours!


Newcastle nostalgia: Who remembers "TV Pow"? I know it was part of an NBN program, but I'm unsure which - probably not "Papa Ryan's Breakfast Club", maybe "Early Birds". Coulda been screened weekdays or Saturdays. I do, however, recall how it went... Viewers played a videogame live on air over the phone. Spaceships of various sizes and shapes passed through crosshairs and when the caller said "pow", lasers fired. The person with the highest number of hits (within a set period) received a prize. I always suspected it was faked, ie. the game was merely an Atari cartridge and there was a guy hitting the button roughly in time with the commands. Can anybody supply futher details?

3 Comments:

At 3:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes 'TV Pow' I remember, but I don't think it was on Art Ryan's show as I seem to remember two hosts, whereas he was by himself apart from the crew behind the camera.

I imagine it worked exactly how you say. There was a lag between the spoken pow and the actual pow in the game. Sometimes people would lose because of that delay.

I think it was an Intellivision game. The alien graphics resembled Cylon ships from Battlestar Galactica which put it around the late 70's, early 80's.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.retrothing.com/2006/06/tv_pow_70s_vide.html

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger David & Mindy said...

I am not sure of the origin of the game but I think it might have been at least at one point on the "Saturday Fun Day" program with Poppa Ryan and Alex Wileman. I loved that game but never thought about how it worked...I guess the magic of youth figured that the phone really was triggering the blasts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home