Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, February 02, 2008

From rugby league to ping-pong

Went to the NRL Fan Day - celebrating the centenary of rugby league - at ANZ Stadium. Thankfully, there were trains running direct to Olympic Park. I think the online registration nonsense was only for the organisers to gauge numbers, 'cos anyone who dropped a gold coin into a bucket was allowed inside. At 2pm, 400 players and coaches from the 16 teams assembled for an historic photo. At 2.45, there was a sharpshooter competition between goal kickers from each club. They had to boot 'em from the sideline, starting at the 20m mark and moving steadily closer to halfway. My hypothetical money would've been on Hazem "El Magic" El Masri from the Bulldogs, but he decided not to take part. It didn't matter - his replacement, Daniel Holdsworth, was the most successful marksman. I wasn't interested in the rest of the activities and I couldn't be arsed waiting for the Knights autograph session, so I picked up a brochure for this year's Rugby League World Cup and vamoosed.

This evening, I finally finished watching my skull'n'crossbones copy of the ping-pong comedy "Balls Of Fury" (2007). I'd envisaged "Dodgeball" crossed with "Reno 911!", but what I got was: no laughs, no chuckles and barely a smile. I didn't find main man Dan Fogler the least bit funny. The deleted scenes, alternate ending, making-of and short mocko hid no gems. Avoid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home