Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Six of a kind

DL graciously hosted a poker night. SC was unable to defend the League Of Ordinary Gentlemen perpetual trophy due to illness. Family guys DW and SK also begged off, reducing our group from nine to six. Nobody remembered to bring betting chips (normally provided by SK), but luckily DL has a HUGE collection of cardboard drink coasters from pubs across Oz, so we used those and they worked fine.

The $20 no-limit Hold 'Em tournament was won for the first time by BW, with CM runner-up and AM third. I finished out of the money in fourth. We then played dealer's choice ($10 buy-in), going twice around the table. Anaconda, draw poker, Follow The Queen, Indian, Spit In The Ocean and stud poker all got a guernsey. The tedious Cross Of Iron and potentially bankrupting Guts didn't. S/I/T/O was a surprise fave. Interestingly, none of us chose to play more Hold 'Em. When the two revolutions were done, I had the largest stack - $25+ - meaning I nearly broke even overall. Nearly. My best hand of the evening was four kings in Anaconda. Doesn't happen often.

While I didn't learn anything to increase my rudimentary skill at cards, I discovered that: Estrella 1906 Special Reserve is an excellent Spanish beer, my passion for Laphroaig whisky is greater than previously realised, Lovers Electric are a very listenable pop duo, and DL's local pizzeria does a non-greasy vego variant with sliced tomato, eggplant, olives and fetta that I could scoff until I burst. Only $12 for a medium, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home