Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Celebrations

Our company Christmas party was held in a massive function room at The Ivy, a posers' palace I'd normally avoid like an ebola victim. Cool decor, I gotta say - imagine a hangar with zebra-print carpet and chandeliers, stairs descending and a balcony at opposite ends, and a bar and sizeable stage halfway along the sides.

We were entertained by a dance outfit I believe was The Potbelleez (don't launch legal proceedings if it wasn't), fed mountains of finger food including those awesome mini-hamburgers on sticks and rendered insensible with a river of alcohol...that was suddenly, disappointingly dammed at 11.30pm.

The theme of the evening was "Gettin' Wiggy Wit' It" and everyone had been asked to wear a hairpiece. My sister AK kindly provided mine - a mop top of thin black braids - and it was a hit. No-one else among hundreds of employees had the same wig and several people told me they preferred it to my real hair (cut short to hide beneath). Thanks, guys. All colours and shapes of fake 'do were present, with a few flamboyant souls taking it to the next level, eg. SC's pirate captain combo of tri-cornered hat and white ponytail.

As tends to happens at these annual beanos, surprising things were blurted and mildly embarrassing deeds were done. I was gonna detail a couple that involved me directly, while leaving the participants anonymous, but you kinda had to be there. There'll be enough red faces when the 85,734,862 candid snaps are uploaded to our shared drives on Monday morning :-)

When the free Beck's beer ran dry at The Ivy, I kicked on briefly to Hermann's Bar, site of the "Chinese Democracy" launch party. Drank a not-free Beck's, had a chinwag with LC (who initially didn't recognise me in the wig), purchased a copy of the new Guns N' Roses CD - now on repeat on my stereo - and headed home to crash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home