Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Sunday, December 02, 2012

Unmakin' Bacon

A painting speaks to me instantly or not at all. Standing in front of it for 10 minutes changes nothing, no matter how famous the painter. I felt a few such artistic sparks at "Francis Bacon: Five Decades" (AG of NSW). People often describe Bacon's works as "disturbing", and I guess the flayed faces and liquefying limbs of some of his deconstructed figures inevitably sees them likened to mutilated corpses. I generally made no connection with those images, but they didn't disturb me. It was my impression that Bacon was merely depicting an extra - equally valid - dimension of ourselves. Even more so with the ghostly actors facing away from the viewer. And with the pale screaming heads, like corrupt signals penetrating thickly layered reality through faint, broken borders. It's late. I should probably go.


TV: "50 Years Of Bond Cars - A 'Top Gear' Special"
CD: "Futhorc" (2012) by David Worgan. DW, a poker pal of mine, demonstrates his guitar mastery on this double-disc journey into sound, a concept album based around the Anglo-Saxon runic alphabet. Dedicated website and iTunes availability coming soon.


Did I share this charming blog with DGN-dom, or did I maybe only email it to AZ? My mother's fave zinester (fact!) is exploring Sydney's suburban libraries one at a time - biblioburbia.wordpress.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home