Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Ancient history alert!

Have I ever mentioned the office accounting course I did through the CES job centre? The class was an interesting mix of people, including a teenage chick who coulda been a catwalk model, an older guy who had been a champion "Space Invaders" player and a trading-card nut with whom I split a box of something to do with Judge Dredd.

There was also a slightly stuffy bloke who got along with me and pretty much no-one else. He dressed like a businessman, but I can't recall how he'd come to be unemployed. People didn't always divulge. I remember there was a woman going it alone and retraining after escaping an abusive relationship. I remember the "Space Invaders" guy joking about injuring himself while sex-ercising. And I remember getting in trouble for laughing at a character in an instructional video.

Returning to the accounting... I felt like I had a knack for the subject - as did one of the gals. We both scored 100% on the final exam. If I'm honest, though, she was the better student. Mayhap she went on to be a bookkeeper. I sure didn't. I landed a role flogging toys and sporting goods at Kmart, and never balanced a ledger again.

2 Comments:

At 5:06 AM, Blogger RS said...

When was this? Pre K Mart? Did you do this course in high school then? Why? So many questions...

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Addster said...

Between high school and Kmart. Between uni degrees. I believe I qualified by having been "looking for work" for six months. There were other courses available, too. A mate did a touch typing one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home