Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Friday, February 05, 2016

Torus heresy

A conversation at work yesterday reminded me of a childhood chum, MG, whose mother owned a donut shop. There were always bags of donut mix stacked alongside their house - on concrete and under cover, but somewhat exposed to the weather. They generously gave away loads of leftovers to friends and neighbours. Occasionally, my buddy would rock up to our place in the evening with a box full. The best were filled/topped with caramel and cream. Everybody adored those. Iced with sprinkles (dollar fives) were the #2 choice, though you were most likely to receive "plain", i.e. cinnamon. At his birthday bash, donuts functioned as both games and prizes. There was a challenge where you had to try to make it through a warm plain one without licking your lips. It's harder than it sounds, as doing so is instinctive. Anyway, even if you lost, you still got to eat a donut. Whenever my buddy and I dropped in to the shop in person - rare, since it was 30 minutes away by his mum's Volvo - we were allowed to choose any variety we wanted. So, yeah, caramel and cream for me, thanks. At the time, it was unbelievable that any kid could be so lucky as to have an effectively unlimited supply of donuts. On my current anti-sugar crusade, I wouldn't touch one of the things if you paid me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home