Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Forty bucks

Growing up in Port Stephens, the local newspaper was "The Examiner". It was pretty typical fare. What I liked about it was that you could put an ad in the classifieds for free. The catch being that the item(s) had to be $40 or under.

I'm sure I wasn't the only person who knowingly sold stuff for less than it was worth just to fit it into this section. Like a stack of regular "Mad" magazines and specials. Those were purchased while the paper was still hot off the press by a man who claimed they were for his nephew.

And like an Atari 2600 with two joysticks and half a dozen cartridges. Can't remember who nabbed that bargain.

And like a hard-ridden Cobra BMX. Funnily enough, it went to a mate's younger brother who wasn't aware I wanted to sell it 'til he saw the gratis advert. But not before he got me to do a little work on the bike.

He expected a lot for his $40, that kid. I blame "The Examiner".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home