Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Friday, February 14, 2020

Magnification

The convex lenses we term magnifying glasses have been around since truly ancient times. They allow us to view items enlarged and to start fires by focusing sunlight on a point on combustible material.

This is the 3000-year-old rock-crystal Nimrud Lens, from an Assyrian palace dug up in Iraq.
The first m/g I owned as a child was small and made entirely of clear plastic. It came with either a stamp-collecting kit or a Bug Catcher toy. I do not remember which one.
Discovering I could use it to burn a hole in a dry brown leaf was an astounding scientific breakthrough. But I never used it to fry unsuspecting ants. Nor did I ever hit them with a cricket bat, as depicted in the background of a scene in "Reckless Kelly", a 1993 Aussie comedy on which my mate DB was an extra.
I was 20 when that movie dropped. Years earlier, though, another friend, DP, had shown me how a magnifying glass could add “battle damage” to action figures. He liked to have two copies of the same figurine, and swap in the scorched version after the character lost a gunfight.

He also crucified an Action Man high on a tree in his backyard.
Seeing an m/g makes me think of Sherlock Holmes and, by extension, a further image from my youth – the canine mascot of the MS Read-A-Thon, attempting to hunt down a cure for multiple sclerosis.
These days, it has also become the universal symbol for a computer/internet search of some description. The icon isn’t usually red, but I just happen to like this graphic. Sue me.
There’s a rumour that men with grey creeping into their goatees now need to employ a magnifying glass when reading magazine articles of a certain font size. To study the finer points of an insect or stamp, the sad bastards would probably require a microscope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home