Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Sunday, April 11, 2021

Dream destinations

RS and I decided to blog the 10 places we'd most like to visit, assuming zero impediments. The only rules were that we couldn't choose whole countries and the write-ups had to be limited to 50 words.

To see his list, click the Robot Claw link under "Marching order" on the right.

Here's mine:

1. Broome & the Kimberley Region, Australia

While I’ve been to every state, territory, capital and hundreds of other parts of Oz (often multiple times), the north-west portion of WA has eluded me. I’d love to explore the unique Indigenous-European-Asian history, incredible scenery and wildlife of pearling centre Broome and its surrounds. King tides and camel rides!

2. Tendo, Japan

This Japanese city is known for beautiful woodcrafting, especially of Japanese chess sets. More importantly, it's where sister AC, her hubby and their kids reside. I’d willingly forgo the charms of Tokyo to have family show me around their neck of the woods – and perhaps teach me to play Shogi.

3. New York City, USA

Besides being able to indulge my passion for museums and galleries to the nth degree, the plan with this choice would be to attempt to rendezvous with my pals MR (Brooklyn), DQ (New Jersey) and RS (elsewhere in NY state). Together or separately, I wouldn't mind. Pizza OK with everyone?

4. Liverpool, England

I've been supporting Liverpool FC since the '80s and listening to The Beatles since I was a nipper in the '70s. I'm sure the excellent tourist attractions related to those two things alone would keep me busy during my stay. Catching a "ferry 'cross the Mersey" would also be neat.

5. Delphi, Greece

Of all the archaeological sites this history nut might conceivably visit, Delphi is the most evocative. The idea of ancients trekking to an oracle on a mountaintop to request (cryptic) advice when contemplating a major undertaking is one that I find endlessly appealing...regardless of scientific theories about intoxicating fumes, etc.

6. Bologna, Italy

Wherever I go, if there’s an unfamiliar university campus nearby, I will usually check it out inside business hours. These bastions of learning just speak to me, and I find the tiniest variations between them fascinating. The Uni Of Bologna is the oldest on the planet, operating continuously since 1088!!!

7. Jerusalem, Israel

Another inclusion based on enormous historical significance, but also because the place is a cultural melting pot and physical intersection of three global religions. I envisage this trip as being 78% touring holy sites, 19% eating delicious food and 3% hoping to glimpse the goddess Gal Gadot crossing the street.

8. Copenhagen, Denmark

To practise my Danish in the best possible way!

9. Santiago, Chile

This slot was either going to be a South American or African destination. Can't deny Santiago won out partly for reasons of personal safety. However, I'm genuinely intrigued by its people, diverse geography, mix of cutting-edge and (abundant) classical architecture, and it just seems overflowing with colourful art and life.

10. Toronto, Canada

If Liverpool was primarily LFC with Beatles stuff a bonus, Toronto'd be about my devotion to the group Rush, sons of the city. Attending a Jays game or wrestling show, taking a selfie on Degrassi St, consuming real poutine, etc. would be icing on the cake...er, gravy'n'curds on the chips.

1 Comments:

At 12:13 AM, Blogger RS said...

Interesting list, especially since I’ve been to a few of them. I almost had Greece on mine, and Zermatt could have been replaced with any number of other Euro destinations (like Germany’s Lake District), but I don’t really have any interest in South America, African or Middle Eastern tourism.

Let’s hope we both get to visit most of these destinations we chose!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home