Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Friday, June 04, 2021

1972, eh?

I turned 49 today. I am now into my 50th year of walking the earth. This information is hard to process.

Recently, tucked away in a wardrobe, I found the cards sent to me for my 21st birthday. I was out of state at the time, but some folks still managed it.

The regular cards depict a cat, a rock'n'roller dog and a classic Porsche 911 - three things of which I remain a fan 28 years later.

The big, text-filled card lists a stack of stuff related to June 4, 1972... News, famous peeps celebrating their b-day, popular music, award winners... Australia was on the "No" side of a UN vote on nuclear testing, for example. WA took out the Sheffield Shield. "The Candy Man" was a hit song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsp35yn411A

Any excuse to listen to that marvellous track again. What a performer Sammy Davis Jr was!

When friends talk about stars who share their birthdate, I don't mention Christopher Cockerell, inventor of the hovercraft, although I expect he was a top bloke. Nor any of the others listed in the big card above. My go-to for a famous fellow 4th of Juner is Angelina.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home