Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Infamous last words

I was musing recently on whether anyone has the words MISTAKES WERE MADE engraved on their headstone. It's a pretty common phrase on the internet, so I wouldn't be surprised.

You may have heard that the gravestone of comedian Spike Milligan reads I TOLD YOU I WAS ILL. True! It's in Gaelic, so a casual observer could mistake it for a typical poetic line.

When my mother asked my father why he's reserved them a plot in a cemetery in a town where they don't live, he said, "It's near the golf course. If I get up one night, I can go and have a hit."

As a decades-long devotee of Blue Oyster Cult, I'd be within my rights to use DON'T FEAR THE REAPER on my headstone. Except I do. I wrote a story about Her in my teen years, in which I suggested She smelled like apples. I don't remember anything else about the tale or why I chose apples.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home