Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Badges, magnets, stickers

My friend RS just did a good post about fridge magnets. It inspired me to highlight a few badges, magnets and stickers from my own collections. In all three cases, I could easily have picked only examples featuring cute gals. Instead, I tried to go for a mix of subject matter and corresponding stories.

1. I loved, loved, loved the original "Attack Of The Show!" (RIP), which screened in Oz on FUEL TV. I even liked the recent reboot (also RIP). This badge came from the man himself, RS. 2. If memory serves and volleys, I picked up this golden Mario at a convention. 3. Nerd humour courtesy of Abbey's Bookshop in Sydney. 4. When he moved house a while back, PG gave me multiple Rush badges, including this'un. (Multiple "Legend Of Zelda" badges, too.) 5. Received as a thankyou for contributions to the ultimate website/podcast devoted to The Phantom.

1. A gift from Mum upon moving into my first sharehouse. She has a quirky sense of humour at times. 2. I was there - along with BS, AP and MB. And at several more venues. Ate Mexican food, drank Mexican beer and refused to pay the ridiculous "end-of-millennium" prices cabbies were charging on the night. 3. Another gift from RS. He's visited Scotland. Regretably, I have yet to do so. 4. When HV went to Singapore on assignment, I suggested she sample a S. Sling in the Raffles bar. She brought me back this souvenir. 5. Prize for winning the trivia comp on one of my cruises.





1. From an Aussie pop-culture con. Two of my all-time fave stickers. 2. Made by pal-of-a-pal artist NH. I actually had a little bag of her celebrity portraits - no idea what happened to the rest. 3. From RS. Wonderful shot of Carrie Fisher (RIP) as Leia, cooling off after escaping jerkwad Jabba. 4. Beaut decal from a beaut fanzine depicting a beaut C64 game. I conquered "Bruce Lee" repeatedly back in the day...when it didn't crash. 5. In the mid-'90s, I was so desperate to get my hands on the "Fist Of The North Star" anime, I ordered the VHS through a local video barn that dabbled in comics, etc., from the UK, for $85! That was a fortune then, even if it did come with extras like this. Yes, I am blogging on a mysteriously ripped sticker as I complain about the cost of a videotape 30 years ago :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home