Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Tuesday, April 09, 2024

UFO 3000

UFC 300: Pereira Vs Hill is this Sunday (Australia time). It's being billed as the greatest lineup of bouts in combat-sports history. Maybe. They do look awesome on paper/electrons, but let's see how they play out. I'm particularly interested to observe how debuting superstar Kayla Harrison goes after a weight cut that was once deemed impossible for her to make.

The UFC has held 17 events here in Oz, six of which I've attended. I went along to UFC 110: Nogueira Vs Velasquez in Sydney as a punter. Then UFC 127: Penn Vs Fitch, UFC On FX: Alves VS Kampmann, UFC On FX: Sotiropoulos Vs Pearson (Gold Coast) and UFC Fight Night: Hunt Vs Bigfoot (Brisbane) in a journalistic capacity. For UFC Fight Night: Rockhold Vs Bisping, I was either back to punter status or else I deliberately chose to watch it from the stands with mates rather than in the media section. I recall a couple of our group were late due to hangovers from a rock gig we'd been to on the previous evening. I was frantically texting them updates about the opening stoushes.

Depending on your locale, undercards can start early here - around 9-10 on a Sunday morning. Like church. I'm eagerly anticipating this week's service, beamed via satellite from - I shit you not - Paradise, Nevada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home