Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, September 19, 2026

Tea and anchovy toast

What a disappointment after the first Eleven/Eleanor collection. No shade on Miles Taylor or Jasmine Bayes, who I want to hear engaging in intriguing, exciting adventures. Sadly, what "H/I/P/S" offers is lame conspiracy, tedious treading water and an unwelcome unreality scenario. Spoiler warning for the next bit... I couldn't care less about the Judoon, Slitheen, the Shadow Proclamation or Lake Silencio! Bundle them together in such a convoluted way and you're bordering on fanwank. There are too many annoying alien voices and, for that matter, too many minor characters played by Nick Briggs. He's a multi-talented fellow and I do like him, but he's instantly recognisable - it takes you out of the tale.
Definitely less of a disappointment is Prog 2500 of Brit institution "2000AD", which will turn 50 next February. While the cover's nothing special, the book size has been upped to accommodate seven yarns, each of which is either a Part 1 or a standalone. Two are very good, two are good, two are middling and one gets an N/A because pages of text, even with illos in the borders, have no place in comics (look at how they ruined the "X-Men" titles). Can't complain about that strike rate for the money. There's also heaps of variety in the writing and art styles, as you'd want in a milestone anthology like this. A proper dose of Thrill Power!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home