Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Friday, April 05, 2024

Third-choice voice

Am still doing Danish lessons on a daily basis. Progress is slow. Wish I'd learnt it when I was young. Our only options were French and German, and not 'til we reached high school. My buddy DJ studied the former from Years 7-10, while my pal DQ did likewise with the latter. They regularly compared grammatical rules and whatnot. Such talk washed over me. I was clueless as to the enormous value of being bilingual (or multilingual). When my father was a wee lad, his friends were all Greek - the sons'n'daughters of his parents' coworkers. He picked up their language naturally. One of the other kids' mothers would remark that he spoke it better than her own children. But Dad never used it again when his family moved from the area. I'm not sure he remembers a single word of Greek now. Don't really know where I'm going with this... I mean, ideally, I'll spend time in Denmark in the future, solidifying what I've learnt in my Hobbit hole. The problem with that is - assuming money and responsibilities weren't an issue - I'd rather live in Iceland or Norway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home