Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Purity control

The first time I tried Scotch whisky it was passed to me, mouth to mouth, by a young(ish) lady I was courting. And I *still* didn't like it. It seemed unlikely I would ever become a fan of the beverage. When I read reports of fine whiskies - like those in Iain Banks' booze-fuelled travelogue "Raw Spirit" - I just assumed the people involved had different, less discerning tastebuds to mine. As the Rush song goes, "What a fool I used to be." I realised my error when, on a recent visit to my parents' place, Dad and I cracked a 12-year-old bottle of The Glenlivet he'd been saving for too long. The gorgeous aroma, complex and elusive flavours, and lack of harshness found in lesser brands were a revelation. I HAD NEVER TASTED ANYTHING BETTER. But as we sipped away slowly (T/G is too fine for mixers or throwing down like a shot), we both began wondering how much better an even more expensive Scotch could be. It's gonna take me a while to finish the bottle (yes, Dad insisted I take the rest home), but when I do, there's a $150 Macallan at the local liquor store that's tempting me to try it.

Hands up who got the "X Files" reference in the title? You deserve a drink.

2 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Addster said...

"Courting" was just me being jocular. It would have been more accurate, though less romantic, to write "getting blotto with".

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Addster said...

Where are my manners? Good to hear from ya, Matt. If you're the person I'm thinking of, you were the first stranger to make friends with me in senior high, something I'm still grateful for. That state-hopping sounds intriguing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home