Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Family ties

Not just an unmissable 80s sitcom starring Michael J. Fox as Alex P. Keaton, the title of this blog entry sums up my latest weekend in Newcastle with my mother and father, and my sister AC and two-year-old nephew Z.

Some things don't change... When she's not fattening me up with delicious home cooking, Mum and I like to go shopping at the local supermarket, watch crime shows (which I don't normally enjoy, but I do with her) and chat at length.

Dad and I also have a tradition where we get the horse racing form guide early Saturday morning, make hyphothetical each-way selections in the major meetings, then listen to or watch the races. He usually out-tips me in Melbourne, but this Cox Plate I finished in front with three firsts and a second (out of 10 races) - for a small hypothetical profit.

I only see my sis every couple of years as she lives in Japan with her hubby. Even while visiting us, most of her time was taken up with Z., who demands to be entertained for much of the day and part of the night. Good thing he's adorable! I did my best to invent games for the little bloke (surprisingly, I still remember the words to "Bananas In Pyjamas"!) as my sister and I caught up. We always had similar outlooks and senses of humour and I think, despite our very different situations, we always will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home