Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Shield of protection from fire

On May 1 this year, it became compulsory for every building in NSW _in which people sleep_ to have a smoke alarm. As of November 1, anyone not in compliance was liable for a fine of up to $550.

My smoke alarm was installed yesterday. Exactly the sort of service I've come to expect from my real estate agency, whose motto seems to be, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if it is broke, we don't wanna know."

No offence to the tradesman they sent round. He was a lovely old bloke who cheerfully embedded the device in the ceiling and wired it up in under an hour.

Now, when I walk from by bedroom to the bathroom at night, I look up at the little green light and feel a new sense of safety. I just hope it doesn't start beeping the next time I sizzle sausages.

1 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

We've had various smoke alarm issues over the years. In our old house the alarm began going off at random times during the weeks before we sold it. Perhaps it was unhappy that we were leaving? We left it for the buyer to fix! :)

In this new place it's gone off a few times, usually because of smoking oil, if it gets too hot. It's nice to know it's working.
Damn it's loud though.

We also have sprinkers throughout the house and I have visions of them coming on, soaking everything and destroying all electrical equipment. I need to lookup how they actually work, I believe there has to be real flame for them to trigger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home