Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Blue versus red

The 2006 A-League and J-League winners - Sydney FC and Urawa Red Diamonds - met earlier this evening at Aussie Stadium in an AFC Champions League game. I was there, near enough to smell the grass, with CM (who'd had the foresight to purchase an extra ticket in my absence), AM, PB and his fiancee S.

Those who care will have already watched the highlights or read an online report. In summary, SFC scored almost immediately and were soon 2-0 up. But URD gradually shut down their opponents' attack through a combination of skill and - it must be said - sneaky simulation. They pegged one back before half-time, fluked a second after a goalie spill and finished the stronger in a 2-all draw.

While 7/8 of the 21k crowd were cheering the Aussies in light blue, we were drowned out by the singing, war-drumming visitors in red. I've honestly never been more impressed by a band of supporters - and so many banners to lug overseas! They can take a slab of the credit for their team's recovery. I don't envy Sydney playing the return leg in front of the vocal Urawa locals.

I'm not complaining about the tied result. Considering SFC only finished fourth in the 2007 A-League comp (behind my team, Newcastle - hehehe), it was heartening as an Oz soccer fan to see them match it with Japan's top club.

I also spotted a funny T-shirt while making a beer run during the break. Worn by a guy, it read: "Tell your boobs to stop staring at my eyes." Made me chuckle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home