Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Saucery

I was raised on steak and potatoes, but Mrs W. never offered them with a blue cheese and vodka sauce. Ablaze Grill + Bar at Fox Studios does - hence my visit at lunchtime today.

I chose to sample the curious condiment with a 750g rump and chips. Before I get to the sauce, I warn readers not to tackle that quantity of meat unless you happen to be a growing leopard. Four hours and a waddle around Centennial Park later, the word "appetite" hasn't reappeared in my vocabulary. Also, with such a huge slab of cow, you won't get consistency; order "medium" as I did and it's inevitable thinner outer areas will approach "well done".

Enough about the steak, how was the topping? Less pungent than I expected, but just as thick and creamy. It had a complex salty taste that actually went best on the garden salad (an unlisted extra). The vodka was undetectable to me. Apparently, it's in there as an enhancer, to release flavour from the cheese and add sweetness.

While I won't be venturing above the 500g mark again, I wouldn't hesitate to try another vodka-based sauce. Maybe a tomato one on homemade pasta...mmmmm, I think I'm getting hungry again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home