Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Incan treasure

On Sunday, I reacquainted myself with Randwick restaurant La Cocina Peruana, whose menu has expanded like the waist of a passively obese blogger. Knowing their starters can be on the dainty side, I began with a salad. Sizzling prawns, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado and onion were regionalised with white corn, quinoa (a fluffy cereal) and "magic spices". The heavier of my mains was a traditional Peruvian beef, pork, chicken and potato stew with white rice – as nourishing as it sounds. I always have the same sweets at L/C/P: mazamorra morada. It's a purple corn custard with chunks of fruit and a dusting of cinnamon that makes me feel as contented as a tomcat curled up by an open fire.

While I was settling the bill, the chef popped outta the kitchen and advised me to try a particular fish dish on my next visit. I was momentarily chuffed to be addressed like some sort of connoisseur... until he qualified his statement. "It's great for hangovers," he explained. "The chilli and lemon will fix you right up." Honestly, my eyes weren't even bloodshot.


Ingesting:
* "Fables: The Mean Seasons" (2004-05) by Bill Willingham and v/a. The repercussions of the Fabletown election, Snow and Bigby's unusual sprogs, a two-clawed tale from WW2, grandpa comes calling (and he's elementally powerful) and an unseen killer roams. Many painful lessons are learnt in this, the fifth collection.
* Look – Exotic A La Mode chocolate. From the Japanese junk food store in Tech City, near the Capitol Theatre. Think Cadbury Snack, except with better choccy (it's closer to Lindt) and mango, passionfruit, guava and lychee fillings. Deliciousness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home