Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Gencon - day 1

The Convention Centre is colossal and dwarfs the Sydney equivalent. We're sharing it with, among other bashes, the XXIII World's Poultry Congress. Lest you imagine squawking chickens flying across gaming tables, I should point out that they're the equivalent of a city block away. Like I said - colossal. SC, myself and five strangers played a module called "The 8th Sea" for a diceless (poker chip- and playing card-driven) time-travelling RPG of the same name. It was GMed by the author, with assistance from his missus, and was excellent. I was a female African scientist who'd fallen in with a crew of temporal pirates so she could visit pre-cataclysm Atlantis. Numerous cosplayers. I overheard Sailor Moon setting Mr Monopoly straight about an obscure variety of stormtrooper. Smiled. Later, SC, TC, LPO, myself and two others played an "Iron Heroes" (magic-light version of "D&D") module - "The Headhunters' Drums". We were the champions of six animal-worshipping tribes. I chose the elephant dude 'cos I didn't wanna run two cerebral characters in a row. He was, indeed, a tank. I set records for most damage in a hit (61 points) and in a combat round (112). Again, a beaut session had by all and objectives completed. Stalls of note: Campaign Coins (real metal currency for use in your fantasy shenanigans) and the Jugger League (international society based on the contact sport in the 1989 movie "Salute Of The Jugger"). Later still, caught up with my sis EM and her hubby TM, who live locally. As it's her 30th on Sunday, I shouted 'em a Korean meal and Hite beer/wine at Wah in the Queen St Mall, then cake and liqueur/coffee at a cafe. In between those, we witnessed a bizarre performance by a bunch of lady trapeze artists where oranges were fed through a high-wire machine to avant garde music. Very Cirque Du Soleil. Nodded off reading the free ish of "PC PowerPlay" from my convention showbag.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home