Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Aestivating for the summer

I'm typing this on a brand-spanking Compaq Presario CQ56, which I bought for a song (Glen Campbell's 1969 hit "Galveston"). I tried to call the machine "Myfirstlaptop", but I'd got as far as "Myf" when the set-up skipped to the next page and wouldn't let me backtrack. Now people will think I'm obsessed with that buxom lass off "Spicks And Specks". Except they won't because when are they likely to clock my computer's name? Moving right along... I've already spent several hours expunging crud (trial versions - [shudder]), installing important stuff (Mozilla-ware, iTunes, Lemonade Stand, etc.), updating and customising to my heart's content. The only progs that gave me any gyp were Thunderbird and Steam, but they're both sorted for e(mail)s and wiz(ardry). Have to say I'm quite impressed with Windows 7. If my old desktop PC, aka The Big Black Box, turns out to be unsalvageable, I won't be shedding any tears. It's not like my body can spare the water in this bastard heat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home