Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Rabbit-fur coat

I've mentioned my World Vision sponsorship before and do so again here not 'cos I want a bloody medal (or a chest to pin it on), but because WV China had their kid write in a card that they sent me for the Year Of The Rabbit, which begins today. Unfortunately, the message was in Chinese. Fortunately, a translation had been provided. I want to quote youse the part describing how New Year's is celebrated in the People's Republic: "We prepare lots of delicious foods such as pork and chicken. We light firecrackers, wear new clothes our parents buy for us. These may seem very simple but give us great happiness!" There's something about that last line that fills my materialistic heart with shame. It's the slight defensiveness that no child should have to feel about their way of life - let alone in relation to a joyous occasion. Nevertheless, I remain a compulsive smart-arse, which is why I've opted for a flippant title rather than, say, "Reality check".

1 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger Shane Cubis said...

Once a year I receive a photo reminding me that my sponsor kid from Uganda has a sweet pushie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home