Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Friday, March 29, 2019

Dugnad

Norwegians have a concept called dugnad that - if this outsider groks it - refers to voluntary work, usually manual and usually rewarded with a meal, done for the good of the community.

When my buddies AP and PR bought their first place, SK and I helped them move all of the big items (furniture, boxes, etc.) by rental truck. Once that was done, they took us to an Irish pub and shouted us wedges, nachos and dark beer. They made sure we were full before leaving us to go and move the smaller items on their own.

That memory is the first thing that springs to mind when I think about dugnad. Not exactly "community", but we all hung out a lot at that time, before the kids and splits (not AP and PR), the career changes and relocations, the health problems...

It's been too long since I engaged in dugnad. Heavy lifting is now verboten, so I won't be repeating the feat of carrying PG's minifridge between flats in a bear hug. But gimme a broom or some packing tape and I'm happy to help. No beers necessary. Wedges and nachos gratefully accepted :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home