Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, November 21, 2020

Shadowy punk space

It was the first meeting of the university gamers' society for the semester, and there was a large whiteboard with coloured markers so you could write down any RPGs you were keen to run, along with your contact details. I put that I wanted to organise a uni group to play FASA's "Shadowrun" (1989). Another person was after players for R. Talsorian's "Cyberpunk" (1988). A third for Iron Crown's "Cyberspace" (1989). All three of us were offering the definitive CP experience, like rival churches claiming possession of the same saint's bones. In the end, I had one taker, and I'd be astonished if the other GMs recruited more than 1-2 people. We'd effectively divided the player pool and conquered ourselves. My "Shadowrun" campaign never went ahead, although I chatted to the interested fella on the phone about aspects of the system we liked. Just as well no-one had been proposing to run SJG's brand-new "GURPS Cyberpunk" (1990) or I might not have even got that much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home