Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Maria full of grunts

No blasphemy intended - couldn't resist the pun.

Tennis is one of my least favourite sports to watch on TV as I can't stand 99% of the commentators (Jim Courier's OK). But I make exceptions for matches involving Aussies like Lleyton Hewitt and for Wimbledon - as I did the other night, when I fell asleep watching Maria Sharapova lose to Amelie Mauresmo. MS was as lovely as I remember, but what I'd forgotten was how much noise she makes while playing. She grunts. She groans. She yelps. She does everything but ululate a Xena-style war cry. I can't help wondering when these sounds cross the line from the natural product of physical exertion to deliberate distraction of one's opponent. Would we be as willing to put up with Maria's grunt track if she wasn't a beautiful, blonde Russian in rude health? Rhetorical question, people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home