Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Dinosaurs, dungeoneering and double whammies

Another visit to SC and LC's place, two more cool boardgames I've learnt to play...

In "Evo", each player controls a group of dinosaurs on the same small island, occupying territory, competing for resources, adaptating to climate change and generally attempting to out-evolve rival species.

When the meteors hit to wipe us out, I had the equal highest score but lost on countback to TC who had more 'saurs.

While "Evo" looks quirky (the creature template reminds me of Reg Mombassa's Mambo T-shirt designs), "Dungeon Twister" is just beautiful - a cross between TSR's Planescape art and that found in new-style fantasy comics like "Exalted".

A dungeon is generated by randomly placing tiles, then taking turns to position characters and items. Players have eight different adventurers at their disposal, with the goal being to kill competitors and/or escape from the opposite end of the labyrinth (preferrably with treasure).

There's a lot more to it than that - eg. standing on certain squares allows a character to rotate that tile or any matching ones - but what it boils down to is a strategic dungeon bash.

We didn't quite finish this one, but having the most victory points, I was declared the winner. It wasn't a foregone conclusion, though - I think either SC or LPO could have made a late charge.

Come midnight, we'd moved on to Magic. If I haven't mentioned it previously, we're running a Ravnica Block sealed league. Each of us cracked three more packs of Guildpact, modified our decks accordingly and got into it.

I played two looooong games against TC, both of which I lost. If I were to blame anything, it'd be his double Lightning Helix draws. A card that costs only RW, does three damage and gives the caster three life is too good...especially when none of my packs have contained one :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home