Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Monday, August 21, 2006

Now screening

There can't be too many citizens of Earth who've spent successive nights watching "Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room" and "Aquamarine".

"Enron" I got on DVD from my pal PG. I'm sure you all remember the sudden, scandalous collapse of this US energy giant in 2001, but there's way more to the tale than just cooked books and crooked bosses. It's a parable of greed that involves everyone from plebs like me duped out of their retirement funds to President George Dubya and Big Arnie. Some of the material the researchers have uncovered is astonishing - eg. a telephone recording of an Enron trader (with no authority to do so) telling a power plant to shut down temporarily, so as to increase market demand. This documentary had me riveted. I watched it, explored the extras, then rewatched it immediately with the director's commentary.

"Aquamarine" I saw at a media screening at Fox Studios. The editor wanted someone to go along and check out actress Sara Paxton - a winsome, willowy blonde who, I hasten to add, has been 18 since April. I think he thought it was gonna be another "Splash". A big negative on that one. While "Aquamarine" does feature a mermaid washed up in modern-day America (though it's unmistakably filmed in Australia), it's more about the importance of friendships to young girls. I may be nautical miles away from the intended audience, but I can't deny the neatness and (never sickly) sweetness of the whole thing. If my three little sisters had owned a copy growing up, I reckon they would have worn out the tape.

2 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Blogger Addster said...

You're right about the huge number guilty of complicity, including the company's financial backers - mostly "respected" names. And let's not forget top executive Lou Pai, who spent more time in strip clubs than at work (half his luck) and escaped with US$250 million plus.

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Addster said...

We may print one shot of Sara in mermaid form. There were a few points in the flick where she appeared to be naked except for her strategically arranged tresses. I say appeared because you can bet there were modesty patches underneath.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home