Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Sea-Monkey business

When my sisters were kids, I purchased one of them a Sea-Monkeys kit and distinctly remember being unimpressed with the results. I didn't expect the bustling kingdom depicted in the funny books, but the number of brine shrimp that hatched and the size they grew to was lame. I wrote the toy off as a popular illusion.

In the years since, I've heard a number of acquaintances reminisce fondly about their experiences with S-Ms and wondered whether my siblings and I made any crucial errors. Receiving "The Amazing Live Sea-Monkeys On The Moon Mini-World" for Christmas (thanks, R. and K.) offered me the opportunity to find out...

It's day six in my S-M (not S&M) cycle and things look better than I remember, with loads of shrimp swimming above the day-glo lunarscape. They've gained a lot in size, too. I've made a habit of aerating their water* when I get home each evening - something I don't recall us doing way back when. Maybe that was the problem.

As much as I'm enjoying looking after the tiny critters and seeing them thrive, I'm already worrying what I'll do when their packet of food runs out or there are too many for the Moon Mini-World to support. I could pour them down the drain but then they might grow into giant, man-eating Sea-Monkeys and terrorise Sydney!

On a related note, it occurs to me that fans of S-Ms would likely enjoy the sci-fi short stories "Sandkings" by George RR Martin (not hard to find, just don't watch the "Outer Limits" adaptation first) and "Model Train Set" by Jonathan Blum (from "Doctor Who: Short Trips"), both of which involve the managing of microcosms.


*Using the simple method, suggested in the instructions, of emptying it back and forth between the tank and a sterile container four-five times. It's a tad tedious and some liquid is lost. I'm wondering whether gently blowing into the water with a clean straw might have the same effect. Where did I put that shopping list?

8 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Regarding disposal; could you eat them?

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Addster said...

Yes...perhaps I could. Muahahaha!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger The real story said...

you can buy more food at www.bravofun.com they have several kinds believe it or not!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger The real story said...

click on my blog to see the latest in sea pet items! Dr. Jordan's brand formula called THE SWARM is very cool

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Tennis #1 said...

Just received the Super Salts and the Omega3. Super Salts perks up sea pets and also starts new colony. The Omega3 is just food for the sea-pets... special stuff they love. And it really has Omega 3 in it!
www.bravofun.com has them all listed.

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Tennis #1 said...

I just saw The SWARM seapets in Boy's life magazine.. I read a cool review on amazon.com about THE SWARM..
good stuff for old Dr. Jordan

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger DORDy said...

Instant pets have come along way since the days of the sea-monkeys.
Now you can get instant sea bubbles tiny little round shrimp that hatchand play with seamonkeys and teeny weeny winkles cute little snails that will clean a sea monkeys tank.
For more info join this instant pet forum
http://www.littleaussieproducts.com/forum/index.php

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Pieishman said...

I just got the swarm and put it in an old sea monkey tank.I was sort of freaked out because there was no instrustions or water purifier. Because I had sa monkeys before,I think I know what to do.I am also growing a sea monkey tank at the same time to see which is better.I live in the Lake George area of NY(near Canada) and it is pretty cold here so I have no clue how long they will take to hatch.(I cant belive they suggest it being 85F out for growing sea monkeys!)P.S. Was I supposed to put some tipe of water purifier in the SWARM tank?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home