Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Sunday, August 12, 2007

While it's been a crappy week work-wise...

...it's been a fruitful one for catching up with people.

On Tuesday, I joined the M. family for dinner at an Italian restaurant in Newtown called Twelve, then a gig by Oz country artist Felicity Urquhart at The Vanguard. Guzzled unfamiliar grog in the form of Moretti beer (dapper chap in green suit on label) and a potent red wine known as "The Bull". While she doesn't quite have the vocal chords of Catherine Britt, the unfortunately initialled FU is a more mature performer, rockin' out on her own compositions (especially "Big Black Cloud") and sweetening tracks by Slim Dusty, Dolly Parton and Hunters & Collectors.

I departed the office early on Thursday to meet PG at Central Station (he'd just put his lovely wife DG on a plane to the States). Took him on a walking tour of Randwick before we spent the evening eating trash cuisine - including those wacky new "NRL - The Works" thick-cut potato chips that taste like every crisp flavour mixed together - and watching a rental DVD of "Ghost Rider", a download of "Destroy The Humanoid", and a coupla games of English Super League on Foxtel.

The Mazda Australian Rugby Championship - designed to bridge the gap between club rugger and Super 14 - commenced on Friday and PB and I were at North Sydney Oval to watch the Sydney Fleet sail past the Central Coast Rays 25-19. Given that they're now the link between the Galloping Greens and the Waratahs, there was no question of me not supporting the Fleet. The crowd was reported as 3.5k but I reckon it was closer to 5k - long lines for tix and the vendors inside barely coped. Afterwards, PB and I were joined by his lovely missus VB for a feast of prime cuts and hot sake at Neutral Bay yakiniku restaurant Katsura.

Yesterday, after my housework and bunny duties were done, I had a notion to try the Mexican fare at Guzman Y Gomez in Newtown. By a freaky-deaky coincidence, I ran into the person who'd alerted me to its existence - my workmate AH. Ended up eating lunch with him and his partner S. (who I'd describe here as "lovely", except I hardly know her). I had the "peppers and onions" and "tofu zacatecas" burritos which were mucho filling. Wobbled citywards, where I wandered the CBD for two hours in an attempt to burn the calories. My sole purchase was a fridge magnet of the Slytherin house crest - kewl!

Tonight, I'm bound for the AWF "Global Attack" pro wrestling show at the UNSW Roundhouse, where I'll hopefully catch up with LA. The card features America's Billy Kidman and Steve Corino, and Japan's Masato Tanaka (who I ain't seen live before). The bar features cheap James Squire, if I remember rightly :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home