Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ancient lore

If you were rolling 20-sided dice in the '80s, you may remember the heroic fantasy RPG "Dragon Warriors", which was sold as six regular-size paperbacks. As someone who tried but failed to collect the sextet then, I was intrigued to learn (via a recent catalogue) that "D/W" has been reprinted as a single volume by Mongoose Publishing.

See - www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1609

This discovery led me to consult the Wikipedia entry on "Dragon Warriors". It links to another on the "Blood Sword" series of gamebooks, also set in the "D/W" world. I'd never heard of these! Assuming you don't envisage playing them, check out the wild and crazy storyline (summarised under "The world of Legend"). What a finale!


Listening: "Heartbeat" (1991) by Ryuichi Sakamoto.

3 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger Shane said...

My longest-running non-TSR campaign was a Dragon Warriors one. Just the first four books...one of which STILL has teeth marks from when Jordan bit it for some long-forgotten reason.

Great game, great atmosphere. I've considered buying the new version, but I can't see myself running it again. Not in this economic climate...

-Shane

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger James Wallis said...

Apparently the original Dragon Warriors had quirky distribution and almost nowhere in the world got all six books. The later volumes have been fetching high prices on eBay for a few years.

If you're interested in reviewing the new edition, I'd be happy to send a PDF copy over to you. Just let me know.

James Wallis
Magnum Opus Press

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Addster said...

Very generous of you to offer, mate, but I've now ordered the hardcover from Oz's Military Simulations. It was a quest I had to complete :-) Mil Sims also have the bestiary and two modules ("Sleeping Gods" is a beaut name). This could get expensive...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home