Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Promotion

I can-openered a money box full of $2, $1 and 50c coins the other day and banked several hundred "bonus" bucks. My conscience had been bugging me to donate to One Laptop Per Child since I learnt about the project in a design doco on SBS1, so tonight I transferred $490 into their coffers. That'll pay for a computer (plus set-up/maintenance) for an underprivileged kid in a remote Australian locale. The XO isn't your standard commercial laptop, though - the case, keyboard, hardware and software suite have been cleverly tailored for the task by world-class designers, at least some of 'em working pro bono. Take 10 minutes to visit laptop.org (or, for the Aussies, www.olpc.org.au) for more info. You'll find it's easy to get behind a device this durable, intuitive and potentially life-changing. If you're a better person than me - throwing dough at causes from my comfy chair - you could even volunteer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home