Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Scroll-burners of Gor

I've never sampled one of John Norman's "Gor" novels, nor do I have any intention of doing so in this go-round. However, I found io9.com's interview with the controversial fantasy author, real name John Lange, compelling. Initially it was his antiquated, scholarly prose - count the uses of "and such", try to remember when you last encountered "redounded" - that took my fancy. It's a writing style that is understandable given his age (79) and day job (philosophy professor). But what drew me on to the end of the 5000-word Q&A was the feeling that here was a man who was (a) broadly, deeply intelligent, (b) possessed of a keen sense of humour, and yet (c) a crackpot.

http://on.io9.com/heY7hC (If link fails, hit refresh.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home