Dork Geek Nerd

"Rational romantic mystic cynical idealist"

Friday, June 17, 2011

You don't have to be a teacher to appreciate this

Merely male...


"He returns the crossword, now a single square of blackness, to the table, and leans back Byronically on the couch. 'This isn't how I imagined the teaching life, Howard. I saw myself naming the planets for apple-cheeked sixteen-year-old girls. Watching their hearts awaken, taking them aside and gently talking them out of the crushes they have on me. "The boys my age are such dorks, Mr Farley." "I know it seems like that now. But you're young and you're going to meet some wonderful, wonderful men." Finding poems on my desk every morning. And underwear. Poems and underwear. That's what I thought life was all about. Look at me now. A failed kidult'"

- p63, "Skippy Dies" (2010) by Paul Murray


Thinking about it, at least three mates who peruse this prattle are or have been edumacators, so maybe they'll appreciate it more ;-)

4 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger RS said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger RS said...

If there is even a shred of truth in that, thank god I'm not teaching high school girls!

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger RS said...

(And FYI I hate this new comment system requirement...)

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Shane Cubis said...

Hahaha! Even at 24, I was already way too old for those Year 11 girls. You could see it in their faces.

Or perhaps I was just too fat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home